Thursday 15 May 2008

Roman Watering Troughs


The ancient Romans built a system of aqueducts that carried water from the nearby mountains to the center city of Rome. The aqueducts supplied fountains, baths, and sewers with fresh running water that kept the city both clean, and functional. I can remember learning about this in junior high but I had no idea that the same system was still used today. I was under the impression that water in this ancient city would be disgusting, possibly even unsafe to drink. Surprisingly throughout the city i've noticed that there are freshwater springs located everywhere. The water is delicious and you never know who or what you are going to see drinking out of this abundance of fresh water that flows constantly. The picture that I posted is a picture of the watering hole located a mere 20 feet outside of my apartment. A was a bit leery at first, but i've grown accustomed in the first week to filling my water bottle every day as I pass it on my way to class. Magnificent, ancient Rome, quenching thirst for 2000 years and counting. 

No comments: