Saturday 17 May 2008

The Pineapple Fountain


Near the Capitol Hill along Piazza Venezia across the street from the Victor Emmanuel Monument, there is a very unique watering trough. Shaped like a pineapple with two spickets so far this is my favorite watering hole. Not only does it look awesome, for some reason the water that comes out of this statue is ice cold. I've drank out of a number of watering holes, and every single one has a different temperature of water. I'm not positive but a lot of them have different tasting water as well, the taste might have something to do with the temperature I can't be completely sure. I find it very interesting how there are so many and they are all very different. It is very remarkable that many of these troughs are fed by the same aqueduct system that was used thousands of years ago. As the days mount that i've lived in this city, I've really taken note of how remarkable it is that the abundance of these watering troughs are fed by water from mountains that are up to 50 miles away.  I definitely think that this particular fountain has the most character out of all the ones i've seen. As you can see by the picture, the pineapple fountain isn't exactly the cleanest of all the fountains i've seen, but I can definitely say that the water was delicious!

No comments: