Wednesday 28 May 2008

The Colosseum; Day VS Night

I have been to the Colosseum many times since I have been in Rome. The differences between the Colosseum at night and in the day are very abundant. During the day the Colosseum is a tourist hot spot, with thousands of people scurrying all around you. There are people dressed up as gladiators, and vendors everywhere you look. There isn't much shade around the Colosseum, so if you go during the day and it's sunny out, be prepared for it to be hot! Nighttime at the Colosseum is a completely different story. The night I visited, the temperature was cool and the air felt damp. There weren't many people around, and most of them seemed to be out on dates. I've been learning during my time here in Rome that the Colosseum is a very popular place to take your significant other. There isn't as much traffic at night so the whole setting is quieter and less frantic.  The constant chatter of tourists is absent, and you aren't constantly bothered by vendors and tour guides. Personally, I could take in the Colosseum better at night because you were able to concentrate on your surroundings more thoroughly. It is very dark around the Colosseum at night, even though the Colosseum itself is very well lit. It's an all around different experience to visit the Colosseum at night than it is in the day time. As you can see in one of my earlier posts, you never know what you might see. I strongly suggest checking it out after dark, I promise it will be an experience to remember!

No comments: