Monday 26 May 2008

Inside the Colosseum

I finally got the opportunity to go inside of the Colosseum, and let me just say the whole experience was overwhelming. I was definitely taken aback the first time I walked through the portal and viewed the interior of the oval shaped stadium. The history that surrounded me was felt in the air by everyone. You could just tell that you were standing in something that was larger than life. I could honestly feel the amount of casualties that took place at the Colosseum around me. There is something very eerie about the massive structure. The ragged edges are dilapidated and noticeably ravaged by weather and time. Across from where I was standing was the side of the Colosseum where the outer ring was still standing. I thought it was amazing to look up at the interior of the third ring of the stadium and see the remains of the stairwells. I imagined thousands of Ancient Romans scurrying to the cheap seats 2000 years ago, and it gave me goose bumps. After this visualization, I gazed down at the remains of what use to be the playing space of the Colosseum. I peered into the ruins of the floor at the system of trap doors, and elevators that formerly released ancient beasts at the fighters. The mental image in my head was quite elaborate, and I knew that I could only imagine a miniscule of what actually use to take place here. I was completely blown away by what I saw that day. I definitely want to make another trip back to the interior of the Roman Colosseum, so cool!

No comments: