Sunday 25 May 2008

Roma Wins the Italian Cup

Saturday night as I was sitting over at the girl's apartment, car horns started blaring out on the street. It began with just a couple honks, and within 20 minutes, the horns made one continuous sound. Not knowing what was taking place, I began my walk home. Half of the vespas and cars that I saw driving by had Roma soccer flags waving out the windows. It became apparent that Roma had won the Italian cup, and the city was in the midst of a major celebration. I thought it was really interesting how Roma's symbol for the soccer team was the statue of the "She-Wolf." The Etruscan bronze of the wolf dates from the early 5th century BC. "The legendary twins Romulus and Remus are the traditional founders of Rome, appearing in Roman mythology as the twin sons of the priestess Rhea Silvia, fathered by the god of war, Mars. According to the tradition recorded as history by Plutarch and Livy, Romulus served as the first King of Rome." (Wikipedia.com) I thought the icon Roma chose for their soccer team was very fitting. After seeing this statue in person, and understanding its meaning to Roma soccer fans, it has become one of my favorite statues i've seen thus far. The "She-Wolf" is located in the Capitoline Museum, and I strongly suggest checking it out if you ever come to Rome!

No comments: