Friday 23 May 2008

Ceiling Mosaics in St. Peters


The ceilings of St. Peters Cathedral absolutely blew my mind. The main dome of the church reaches 448 feet. It was hard to imagine that the dome was actually that high standing directly below it. It was almost as if it were an optical illusion. I kept thinking to myself that a rollercoaster that I had previously been on at Cedar Point amusement park in Ohio had a rollercoaster that was 420 feet tall. I can distinctly remember gazing up at the peak of this extreme thrill ride, being amazed at how incredibly high it was. It just didn’t seem possible to me that the dome of the world-renowned St. Peter’s cathedral surpassed that height. When we first entered the church, the main interior lighting had no yet been turned on. The interior of the cathedral was dim, and not easy to see its true beauty. Luckily, we visited the Vatican on a day when a mass was taking place to after about 20 minutes after we had arrived, the main organ began to sing, and the interior lighting came on with a radiant glow. Immediately the gold platelets on the interior of the dome shined a jeweler’s delight. It was absolutely breathtaking, and goose bumps immediately began to well on my arms. I am not Catholic, and I don’t consider myself a spiritual person, but at the moment I definitely saw god. I had never seen anything that was made by man look so beautiful. It was definitely an awe-inspiring moment.

No comments: