Wednesday 21 May 2008

McDonalds Ads in Rome


The first thing that I noticed when I first moved to Rome, is that the only fast food chain i've seen has been McDonalds. McDonalds restaurants are located all over the city and surprisingly they are very expensive. I think its funny how McDonalds arrows are located on the same signs that point you in the direction of famous land marks. For instance near Piazza Del Collegio Romano is a red McDonalds sign pointing you in the way of the Pantheon. Interestingly enough, the signs that lead tourists to the Pantheon come far and between the signs that lead you to both McDonalds and the historic landmark. I think its interesting how much McDonalds is a world power through their marketing. The first thing in people's minds when they show up at the Pantheon is they arrived their by following the sign, is McDonalds. I find it kind of sad that the Golden Arches of the McDonalds chain are one of the most recognized symbols in the world. 

No comments: