Thursday 15 May 2008

Advertising in Rome

Because I am majoring in Advertising Public Relations I thought that it would be very interesting to study different types of advertising throughout Rome. In the first couple days i've noticed that there is a huge American influence throughout the city. For instance, the movie Sex and the City is coming out at the end of this month, obviously this is an American film that takes place in New York City and i've noticed advertisements all over the city printed in English. I have to wonder, are these advertisements aimed for American's living here, or is America such an influence that english ads are understood by the average Italian. I find it very interesting to analyze this concept not only because it is my major, but because I've always found American influence on other cultures to be quite remarkable. If there was a popular Italian film coming out, you would never see the italian language on an Ad in midtown Manhattan. This is just one example, but I am eager to analyze other types of advertisements that I pass everyday while exploring the city, and walking to class.  

No comments: