Tuesday 24 June 2008

Walk through Piazza Del Popolo, Espagna, and Republica

On monday June 23rd, we went on one of the walks that we created last week. My group decided to do Nicole's walk that took us to three piazzas. We started our walk at Piazza Del Popolo, which is a 15 minute tram ride, and a 20 minute walk from my apartment. I wasn't sure how long it would take me to get there so I left my apartment an hour early. I was glad that our first stop on the walk was far from my apartment, however because it gave me the opportunity to explore parts of the city that I hadn't been to before. Instead of walking down Corso, I decided to take back alleys to the piazza. By the time I had gotten to our starting point I had already been walking for 30 minutes. I passed by numerous coffee shops, and churches that I had never seen before. I tried to stay in the shade as much as I could, because even though it was stlll early morning, it was already getting hot. I had already visited the first two piazzas on our walk, but this was the first time that I had been to them in the morning. The Piazza Del Espagna looked very strange to me at 9:45 AM trenched in sun with nobody sitting on the stairs. I got a whole new aspect of this tourist hot spot. After walking down the stairs we continued to the Piazza Del Republica. This was the first time that I had visited this particular spot. I had already heard a great deal about this spot in the city because when President Bush visited Rome, this was where the Italians held their anti Bush rally. I had no interest in seeing that, so when everyone was going to this particular piazza, I opted out. I was really glad I got the chance to see this piazza because one of my themes is fountains, and the fountain in the center of this piazza is very large and beautiful. The fountain is comprised of many shoots of water all spilling towards the center. I wish I could post pictures of this fountain, but unfortunately my camera broke, and I have no way to upload photos anymore. Anyways, it was a beautiful morning and a very pretty walk. It was a great way to start my last week in Rome.

No comments: