Wednesday 11 June 2008

The Disney of Europe, Amsterdam

On the weekend of May 30th I visited Amsterdam in the Netherlands. I thought the city was absolutely beautiful. The style of the buildings always looked like something out of Disney World. The red light district was definitely an interesting sight, with hundreds of prostitutes behind windows lining the streets. It was almost as if they were in prison. I felt like I was committing a crime just being there, even though prostitution is legal in Amsterdam. The laws in Amsterdam are very lax, and you would think the city would be complete chaos. That really wasn’t the case, the people seemed very tame, and they were definitely the friendliest bunch I’ve met while traveling through Europe. I definitely want to visit the Netherlands again and get outside of the city. The Netherlands is known as the flower capital of the world, and the flower market was unlike any I’ve ever seen. Located along one of the many canals, the flower market was a burst of color in an already vibrant architectural city. My favorite aspect of Amsterdam was definitely the architecture. Almost all of the buildings had intricate brickwork with exaggerated rooftops that made them look like castles. Even though I was on there for a weekend, I could definitely see myself living in this city. The city had a homey feeling unlike Rome. Almost everyone spoke English, which gave me a much needed taste of the States. There was a wide array of food, and everything we tried was incredible. I really can’t think of anything negative to say about Amsterdam. I can’t wait to visit again someday!

No comments: